Our Tennis Community


Proud members of Tennis Australia and Tennis NSW

Adult Competitions


We host a range of local tennis competitions and we provide social round robins.

Read more

Schools


Cooper Park supports a range of schools using our facilities by offering discounted prices to our courts.

The Park


Cooper Park contains the tennis courts, junior sports fields, a children’s playground, large grassed areas, walking tracks and landscape structures.

An Oasis in the City since 1885


Meandering paths, bridges and grottos, all set within a natural landscape.

View The Full History Timeline With Photographs

Walks around Cooper Park (Click to enlarge)

Walks around Cooper Park


Cooper Park history dates back to 1885 when the then-government bought this land from Cooper Estate with the sole intention of developing it as a recreational reserve. This was finalised in 1913 when Sir William Cooper, the man after whom the park is named, gave the entire stretch of land from Bellevue Hill to Woollahra Council for use as a park. The development of recreation infrastructure within Cooper Park was initiated in 1923 and involved the construction of tennis courts, a tennis pavilion and playgrounds.


Development during the 1930s was based on an award winning design by E. Coleman and R.C. Coulter, the result of a competition run in 1928. Themes of romance and pleasure were enhanced with the construction of meandering paths, bridges and grottos, all set within a natural landscape. At the eastern end of the park a natural amphitheatre was constructed and was host to a number of classical concerts during the 1950s.


100 Years of Cooper Park


In 2023 we celebrate our 100 year anniversary.

In 1920 the Council engineer was asked to prepare plans for improvement of the flat land at the foot of the gully, with the provision of tennis courts and a clubhouse. The scheme was to include a pavilion with public toilets and catering facilities, both unusual at the time.

Work commenced in 1921 and the tennis complex was officially opened on 22 September 1923. The cost of building the courts was 698 pounds and 19 shillings and 4 pence; the clubhouse and pavilion depleted the Council coffers by 1022 pounds, 12 shillings and 1 pence.

In 1924 money was allocated to construct a children’s playground nearby at the eastern end of the tennis courts. Swings and seesaws were erected and the playground has recently undergone an upgrade. in 1985 the courts which were originally clay were changed to synthetic grass.

Legends of Tennis at Cooper Park

Many well known tennis champions and celebrities have enjoyed our tennis centre