Cooper Park Tennis is proud of the part it plays within the history of the park and the surrounding environment. The photographs here are a small collection of historical references collected over the years by Woollahra Municipal Council and in particular The Local History team at Woollahra Libraries.

Cooper Park Tennis would like to take this opportunity to thank Barbara Swebeck, Local History Officer, Woollahra Libraries, Woollahra Municipal Council, for all of the kind help offered in allowing us to source and use the photographs below… we’re sure you’ll agree, they’re wonderful!

One of the three spots in the Municipality retaining large areas of native bushland. It’s worth as a recreation area was recognised as far back as 1885 when the Government was asked to purchase land from the Cooper Estate for recreational purposes. It was not until 1913 the Sir William Cooper agreed to give the whole of the gully from Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill to Manning Road, Double Bay to the Council as a park. The land, to be known as Cooper Park, was formally dedicated to Woollahra Council on 14th May 1917. Subsequent additions over the years have brought the Park up to its present area of 17.5 hectares. The creek running through the Park is largely natural and follows the line of a volcanic dyke of Jurassic age, while the hillsides support a wide variety of native trees and shrubs. Development over the years included extensive walking tracks and paths, with shelter sheds built and picnic areas laid out.


Cooper Park Timeline

2010
Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill entrance, Stone Columns, Cooper Park, 2010

Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill entrance, Stone Columns, Cooper Park, 2010

The stone columns were originally from the Sydney G.P.O. before being moved to Elizabeth Bay House, then Vaucluse House and finally to Cooper Park in 1994.

1984
Playground at Cooper Park, 1984

Playground at Cooper Park, 1984

1982
Cooper Park, 1982

Cooper Park, 1982

Photograph taken for the 1982 Woollahra exhibition ‘Beautiful Woollahra’ displayed at Bondi Junction Plaza.

1978
Cooper Park Tennis Club, tennis courts and clubhouse, Cooper Park 1978

Cooper Park Tennis Club, tennis courts and clubhouse, Cooper Park 1978

1974
Cooper Park Tennis Club courts and clubhouse, Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill 1974

Cooper Park Tennis Club courts and clubhouse, Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill 1974

1970

Cooper Park Tennis Courts, 1970s

1950
Open Air Concert, Cooper Park, 19th November, 1950

Open Air Concert, Cooper Park, 19th November, 1950

The open air concert was performed by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and was attended by approximately 20,000 people.

1944

Sydney Symphony Orchestra at Cooper Park, 1944

One in a season of highly popular concerts performed by the SSO in the park.

1936
Plaque commemorating improvements in Cooper Park 1936

Plaque commemorating improvements in Cooper Park 1936

Plaque reads:

MUNICIPALITY OF WOOLLAHRA COOPER PARK
TO COMMEMORATE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THIS WALL AND OTHER IMPROVEMENT WORKS FOR THE PUBLIC WELFARE IN THIS PARK CARRIED OUT BY THE UNEMPLOYED RELIEF WORKERS IN THE YEAR 1936 DURING THE MAYORALTY OF ALDERMAN K.D. MANION.
J.C. LOUGH, TOWN CLERK

Monuments and Memorials in Woollahra, original survey 1987, supplemented 1993/1994, compiled by the Woollahra History and Heritage Society.

1936
Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill, showing work being undertaken on terraces, stone steps and the amphitheatre in the 1930’s

Cooper Park, Bellevue Hill, showing work being undertaken on terraces, stone steps and the amphitheatre in the 1930’s

The turreted house in the background is ‘Logan Brae’ built about 1880-90 for William Smith and possibly designed by James Barnet. It was later owned by Jame Kirkpatrick a well known architect. Landscaping including the introducAon of a number of structural elements of Cooper Park was carried out by Woollahra Council during the 1930’s. The terracing and laying out of the steps at Bellevue Road end of the park was carried out in 1936 using men eligible for work under the ‘Emergency Relief Work Scheme’.

1936
View of men working on oval and amphitheatre, Cooper Park, 1936

View of men working on oval and amphitheatre, Cooper Park, 1936

The massive works program which transformed Cooper Park in the 1930’s was largely carried out by relief labour under the ‘Emergency Relief Work Scheme’. Shown here under construcAon is the entrance from Victoria Road – an imposing flight of stone steps – and earthworks of the newly terraced slopes.

1936
Newly completed stone steps, Bellevue Hill slopes, Cooper Park, 1936

Newly completed stone steps, Bellevue Hill slopes, Cooper Park, 1936

1936
Stone ornamental bridge in Cooper Park, 1936

Stone ornamental bridge in Cooper Park, 1936

1936
Stone Bridge, Cooper Park, 1936

Stone Bridge, Cooper Park, 1936

1930
Bridge under construction, Cooper Park, 1930s

Bridge under construction, Cooper Park, 1930s

Concrete reinforced with old tram line and crazy stonework laid on top. Landscaping including the introduction of a number of structural elements of Cooper Park was carried out by Woollahra Council during the 1930’s

1930
Grassed area with seating, near tennis courts, Cooper Park, 1930’s

Grassed area with seating, near tennis courts, Cooper Park, 1930’s

Landscaping, including the the introduction of a number of structural elements of Cooper Park was carried out by Woollahra Council during the 1930’s.

1930
View of stone bridge, Cooper Park, 1930’s

View of stone bridge, Cooper Park, 1930’s

First wall completed.

1930
Large Pond, Cooper Park 1930’s

Large Pond, Cooper Park 1930’s

View from the top of the park.